Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Big movement of raptors


Another day of strong winds and heavy rain showers, getting better during the afternoon. Mild, around 18-20C. I managed an hour at lunchtime, not sure if anything would dare cross in these conditions. So it was great when the first flock of Black Kites came out of the sea mist. Then another, and another flock. In all I must have had around 1500 Black Kites. The weather didn't deter the bigger raptors either. I must have seen at least 60 Short-toed Eagles and 3 Egyptian Vultures but I'm sure many more got across. I'll let the photos tell the story...

First Short-toed Eagles:









Oh no, not gulls again!




























Egyptian Vultures next:









...and Black Kites:


a dangerous sea crossing at the best of times but in the wind and rain...




Europe, finally!









No comments:

Post a Comment